Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Oliver

My kids always get me gifts for my Birthday.

When I turned 50 my daughter Cady gave me this antique typewriter because if you have an oak roll to desk you must have a cool typewriter!

It is The Oliver Standard Visible Writer No. 3 and it is totally awesome.

The No. 3 was produced in Vienna, Austria by A. Greger & Co. from 1903 to 1924 as the Courier; production ended in 1919, the final machine was assembled in 1924. They also produced the Courier as the Jacobi for a major German office equipment dealer in Munich; The Jacobi name was borrowed from A. Greger's sewing machine division, the Jacobi Company. A. Greger & Co. was originally a bicycle builder. A. Greger & Co. may have been been the manufacturer or assembler of Oliver branded Typewriters Nos. 3 & 4 prior to purchasing the patents from The Oliver Typewriter Co.; research is on going concerning the early years of Oliver in the Europe.

--You have to hammer the keys to use it. It still works.

2 comments:

  1. This is so fabulous as to make me tear up in nostalgic green envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic.
    If you ever plan to sell it, I'm would be interested to buy.
    It was produced by my grandfather Armin Gregerin Vienna in the 1920's. He lived on Webgasse 25.
    Best regards,
    Lars Greger

    ReplyDelete