Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Most Recent Shou Xing

I have several examples of this Chinese God in my Relic collection. You have seen multiple versions already. This was my most recent one. I found it in an antique mall I visited with Brenda on the way back from Buffalo.

Shou Xing - God of Longevity

This character represents 'long life'. According to Chinese folklore, Longevity is described as wise, knowledgeable and capable of ruling the world. During festivals, a Chinese family normally worships the symbols or pictures of Longevity to express gratitude for granting the elders in the family a long life.

When old people celebrate their birthdays, families and friends love to use the drawings of Shou as gifts. Pictures of Shou were often drawn on birthday cakes. Such a gesture would embody the filial wish that family elders or birthday person might live as long as the legendary mountains of the south, with health and good fortune to match.

The God of Longevity is the 3rd god of the Gods of Good Fortune. The God of Longevity was originally a stellar God, Shou Xing or the Star of Longevity

--I could use some longevity. That's why I have so many!

No comments:

Post a Comment